Catheter Securement Devices
A catheter securement device is used to secure an indwelling urinary catheter. They are sometimes known as catheter-retaining devices and are essential in preventing trauma to the urethra by preventing pulling and tension. Correctly securing a catheter can prevent damage and inflammation to the urethra which could cause pain and discomfort.
Catheter securement devices are suitable for use with urethral or abdominal / suprapubic catheters, may be adhesive or elasticated and can be placed on the thigh or abdomen according to the site of the catheter and personal preference.
Adhesive Catheter securement devices
- Can be worn for up to 7 days and will be easiest to remove with alcohol wipes or an adhesive remover.
- It is important to assess skin integrity before installing a new device.
- Available in Statlock Catheter securement and Grip-Lok Catheter Securement options.
Elasticated / Velcro Catheter securement device
- Long-lasting, washable and reusable.
- One size fits most.
- Available as a Dale catheter thigh strap.